BEIJING – The State Council said in a statement on March 31 that China will continue to suspend additional tariffs on American-made vehicles and auto parts after April 1, in a goodwill gesture following a U.S. decision to delay tariff hikes on Chinese imports.
In December, China said it would suspend additional 25 percent tariffs on U.S.-made vehicles and auto parts for three months, following a truce in a trade war between the world’s two largest economies.
The State Council, or China’s cabinet, said the move was aimed at “continuing to create a good atmosphere for the ongoing trade negotiations between both sides.”
The suspension of tariffs involve 144 items that previously had been imposed an additional 25 percent tariff and 67 items that had been imposed an additional 5 percent tariff.
How long the suspension will last will be announced at a later date, according to the statement.